Head Grower – AeroFarms AgX Ltd. (Abu Dhabi, UAE)
As a Certified B Corporation, AeroFarms is a mission-driven indoor vertical farming company transforming agriculture with global headquarters in Newark, NJ. Recognized by Inc.com as one of the Top 25 Disruptive Companies in the World, AeroFarms is scaling quickly to meet the demand for our fresh, locally grown produce that is setting new culinary standards. Recently, the company announced it will build a state-of the art research and development (R&D) center in Abu Dhabi to create an in country Agri-Tech ecosystem. We now look for seasoned professionals to join our Abu Dhabi entity for establishment and growth of our operation in the region.
- An incredible ‘change-the-world’ company with the eyes of the world focused on our success
- A team of motivated, intellectually curious, and creative individuals to support you
- The backing of some seriously impressive firms including Goldman Sachs, IKEA, Prudential, and other leading venture funds
Job Description Summary:
The Head Grower will join an experienced team of scientists and will work cross-functionally to ensure success of long-range goals and strategies., The ideal candidate will be passionate about horticulture and will share our values around the highest experimental standards. We are looking for energetic, forward-thinking and creative individuals with high standards and good judgment. In addition, Aerofarms values individuals who can lead by example and keep focus in a team-centered environment. The head Grower reports directly to the Director of Research and Development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with a team of Senior Scientists conducting experiments to grow various plant types in different growing systems and environments mainly, in Aeroponics and Hydroponics
- Characterize plant responses in controlled environments
- Adapt and problem solve as needed based on daily plant and grow room observations
- Manage and develop a team of growers and research assistants
- Serve as a subject matter expert to project tactical teams
- Provide input on experimental design and growing equipment requirements
- Report findings internally in a collaborative environment
- Operate and maintain growing and analytical equipment
- Remain up to date on the latest developments in indoor agriculture
- Work collaboratively with research assistants and technicians to achieve project goals
Qualifications and Requirements:
- BSc. in Horticulture, Agronomy, Plant Sciences, Plant Physiology or a closely related discipline
- Master’s degree in a related field is a plus
- 3-5 years of experience working in horticulture, plant science or agronomy research (student research counts as experience)
- 3-5 years of people management experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Highly effective interpersonal skills
- Teamwork skills and a collaborative approach to work
- Able to multitask and prioritize the workload
- Able to create and conduct presentations to the management and stakeholders.
- A flexible approach to work with the ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment
- Advanced skills with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong analytical thinking, problem solving skills and an aptitude for detail required and a proven track record of demonstrable leadership qualities a must.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with operating controlled environment agriculture systems
- Experience growing plants ins a research, pilot and production environment.
- Experience with characterization of plants, including imaging, phenotyping, chemical analysis, and/or objective measurements of taste and texture
- Knowledge of plant growing, disease prevention, pest remediation, and IPM principles
- Experience working with engineers or software developers on growing equipment/tools and monitoring systems
- Experience growing small fruit crops such as berries and leafy greens
- Experience with food safety and HACCP protocols
- Aptitude with statistical analysis software and/or programming
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- This is a full-time in person position with normal work hours and workdays. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
** This position requires a valid Driving License **
** This position requires international travel **
** This position requires a complete residency in Abu Dhabi, UAE **
** This position must be accessible during some US work hours for reporting and coordinating **