General Farm Manager
We require a farm manager who has experience in crop and poultry farming. Our farm manager is the key to delivering quality products to our customers. We rely on our farm manager to implement strategies, monitor growth and make high-level decisions about utilizing our limited resources to maximize yield and profits. You should thoroughly understand what makes a species cost-effective and how and when each specimen should be grown on a farm. It would be best for you to understand the equipment well enough to maintain, inspect and make minor repairs when necessary. You’ll be expected to stay updated about new technology and help with administrative duties as needed. You’ll also need to work with the owners and business development manager to meet our client’s current needs and explore new business opportunities.
- plan finances and production to maintain farm progress against budget parameters
- cultivate and harvest crops and poultry, maintain and repair farm equipment.
- perform the following duties: Plant, fertilize, cultivate, irrigate, and harvest crops. Feed the chicken and look after the poultry.
- undertake practical activities.
- buy supplies, such as fertilizer and seeds
- plan activities for trainee staff, mentoring and monitoring them
- maintain and monitor the quality of yield, whether poultry or crops
- understand the implications of the weather and make contingency plans
- Harvest, prepare, and package products for delivery.
- make sure products are ready for deadlines.
- ensure that farm activities comply with government regulations
- monitor the poultry and welfare, including liaising with vets
- apply health and safety standards across the farm estate
- protect the environment and maintain biodiversity
- keep financial records up to date.
- Monitoring and ordering supplies.
- Ensuring proper preparation for harvesting times.
- Running regular financial reports.
- Preparing a projected budget.
- Suggesting marketing strategies to promote products better.
- Working with owners to explore new revenue opportunities.
- Experimenting with growing conditions to improve efficiency.
- Compiling a budget.
- Testing water quality regularly.
- Maintaining accurate books.
Farm Manager Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, animal science, or equivalent.
- Additional courses in business management or administration are recommended.
- Extensive experience in a farming-related field.
- Management experience would be a plus.
- A passion for agriculture.
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
- The ability to make decisions in stressful environments.
- Superb communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to work overtime as required